Friday, December 19, 2008

The Great Debate: Playstation 3 vs. Nintendo Wii vs. X-Box 360 (Part 1)

So many controversal debates go on over some very serious issues nowadays. But I'll be honest: not too many of them effect me personally. And the ones that do don't strike me in a passionate way or too many people I know are on my side, so I have no opposite to civilly debate with (and by civilly, which I hope is a word, I mean stomp all over them with my views that are far better than theirs). However, I find my internal conflicts much more interesting. The most recent one that has come up has been in regards as to what should be the next video game system I get. Those of you who know me are thinking, "Didn't he already decide on this?" Although my initial choice was set some time ago, some more recent develops have forced me to open my mind a little, and see the strengths and weaknesses of all available choices. Those choices consist of: Playstation 3 (the front-runner), the Nintendo Wii (the system for all), and the X-Box 360 (the newest contender). Who knows, maybe in the end of all this I could end up owning all three.........but for now, I can only start with one. So for Part 1, I will be going over the potential of the surprise contender that is the X-Box 360.

Lets start with the system in general. Now, there are two forms of the system available: the Pro and the Arcade. The Pro starts at about $299, while the arcade starts at $199. Seeing as how I'm not intense about the online aspects and the amount of memory space available, I think I'll be looking to get the Arcade version, which is also the cheapest system available between the "Top 3." This was the version I played at a friends recently, and I'll admit I was impressed. The graphics are stellar for the system, even though it wasn't even in HD, so I can only imagine. The system uses wireless controllers, which seems to be a new standard for all the newer systems. It uses memory cards as well as hard drives for storing your games, which makes it easy to bring your saved games to a friends. Besides video games, you can also use it to watch DVDs, play music CDs, and view pictures on your digital camera. Only recently has it been seen there are problems with the system, but most of that is due to mishandling by its users. Overall, the system isn't revolutionary, but still has much to offer.

Now then, lets look at the games the system has. See, while many games appear on multiple systems, some seem to be better when played on the XB360. However, considering it's not an immediate argument for choosing this system, I'm going to look at the games that are exclusively for this system. First, I will make an honorable mention to the ever popular "Halo 3." I had played the first one long ago, and it's basically your standard first-person-shooter that offers some things that draw in an insane amount of players. While I respect the game's popularity, I will say that I'm more interested in another shoot-em up action series I've seen that thoroughly impresses me. Just 3 words: "Gears of War." This is strong game graphically, it's easily playable, and easily addictive especially when you get your friends involved. This game alone first peaked my interest in the system. Other mentionable games:
- Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation (I love this series that originally was on Playstation, but now has jumped ship. Fun to play, and very addictive)
- BioShock and F.E.AR. (I paired these up because they're similar games, and because they're also on Playstation 2. Still, most PC games translate better to the X-Box, and these two are popular and very impressive. Definitely must haves)
- Dead Rising (First watched a friend play this game, and it looked very fun. I have a thing for zombies, but this game made it exciting to take them on)
- Condemned 2: Bloodshot (This game I played at my friends, and was pleased with its unique style. However, it seems I might need to see the original to understand where it came from)

As you can see, there's a lot to say about how much I would like this system, but there are some flaws that would deter me. The biggest factor is that many of my favorite game series aren't available on this system. Tekken, Metal Gear, Final Fantasy.......games I play regularly, and yet they're only playable elsewhere. Although I could explore the series the X-Box 360 has to offer, many are sequels to original X-Box games that I've never played, and I won't get the full experience. And based on my research, only some if not all of the original Xbox games aren't playable on the new system. If there are some, than I'd have no problem buying the cheap Xbox games to try out. But for now, that's fairly uncertain. Lastly, looking into future games coming out, I'm not seeing a lot that gain my attention. If I'm going to play this system for a long time, I want to know there will be some good games coming out that I can play.

Well, I think that's enough for the info. I will conclude by saying that the Xbox 360 is a good choice for me just because of the games available, and the price. It's not my first choice, but I would gladly make use of the system if I owned it. Had enough yet?

So, as for my next posts, you will get Part 2 of this debate, as well as the weekly TV round-up. That's the entertainment you can look forward to........but for now, you're on your own. Find something entertaining right now. What? You think I'm going to sit here until I can put my next blog up? No, I think I'll find some entertainment of my own.

No comments: